Looking for a new or change of career ultimately results in a lot of job searching .
All the tips from career professionals will tell you that you “need to be disciplined”, “it’s a job to get a job” and that you must “work hard at it” if you are to be successful.
Part of job searching is around finding out what you want to do, where your skills lie and where you want to work. Looking for the perfect role in the ideal organisation does take time and effort. Each time you submit an application you want it to include the most current and relevant information that relates to the industry your are looking to work in.
So how do you keep up to date whilst job searching?
- Have a mentor. It’s a recognised fact that whilst job searching if you have a mentor who you are accountable to and who can offer you realistic guidance and support, you are more likely to be successful, particularly if your mentor is familiar with your goals and aspirations
- Join LinkedIn groups and ask questions. LinkedIn is one of the most powerful resources for job searching. It is possible to research many details and discover unique bits of information about your interests. Join groups and ask questions to gain knowledge and at the same time, where possible, answer questions to position yourself in a role as an expert
- Interview industry experts. Using your blog, have a Q&A with people in the sector or in aspirational roles and write up their thoughts, goals and summarise how they got to be where they are today.
- Attend industry conferences – as a volunteer. It’s expensive to register at conferences and when you are job searching financial outgoings can be critical. However most trade and industry conferences need volunteers for registration, manning stands and stewarding. Offer up your services and learn from the experience.
- Download conference transcripts. If you have been unable to attend a specific conference you should be able to find summary papers and transcripts from the conference website. All invaluable information for keeping abreast of industry trends.
- Read industry and career related books. Use the library resources to source books, and add comments on your blog about what you are reading to engage with others.
Is there anything else you would suggest to to others that are job searching?