Being a professional CV writer is one of the new occupations which shouldn’t be dismissed too quickly.
On the one hand, to be a good professional CV writer you not only need to have a good understanding about the world of work but also have a good command of the English language. The other hand is that to be a really professional CV writer you will need to meet, talk and discuss with the client what, how, why and where their CV is going to be used.
Too many people are now labelling themselves as professional CV writer without any credence at all.
Reasons to use a professional CV writer
- Look at the credentials and background of the professional CV writer. Have they had some training within the career management, HR or recruitment sector? A professional CV writer with kudos will have a history in industry, some training/qualifications that relate to recruitment and the world of work
- Professional CV writers specialise in working with clients to produce unique, tailored and appropriate CVs. Make sure that any professional CV writer you chose has testimonials and can understand what you are looking for
- When it comes to altering your existing CV, a good professional CV writer will be able to appraise and advise on the content, layout and aim without costing you too much money. Looking at your CV with fresh eyes can mean the difference between a good CV and an outstanding one.
- A professional CV writer knows what to leave in, what to highlight and what to leave out. They should have an extensive knowledge of the keywords that will make a difference on your CV.
- CVs are rarely perfected in one go; a professional CV writer will work with you over a few sessions whether it is face to face, by e-mail or phone. Be prepared to let your CV develop as you remember your successes and share them with the professional CV writer.
- Independent advice from a professional CV writer is most valid, it’s their job to recognise the strengths, accomplishments and background in a CV. Be guided by their advice and focus on key elements that match your job application aims.
Can anyone set up as a professional CV writer?
Yes, it would seem so.
Is a professional CV writer a new occupation?
Yes, it might well be but remember “Buyer Beware”.