What keeps you in a job? What motivates you and makes you look forward to Monday mornings?
- 53 percent seek better compensation and benefits.
- 35 percent cited dissatisfaction with potential career development.
- 32 percent said they were ready for a new experience.
However HR professionals were asked which programs or policies they use currently to help retain employees. The following three are the most common programs employers are using to retain employees:
- 62 percent provide tuition reimbursement.
- 60 percent offer competitive holidays and holiday benefits.
- 59 percent offer competitive salaries.
So there’s a bit of a mismatch isn’t there?
Different things are important to each of us at work, and making sure that our motivation is high is essentially a key requirement for employers. If they don’t know you are ambitious and want to learn more skills and try out a new role – then how can they help you to do that.
Advice – talk to them! Take the opportunity both formally and informally, through casual encounters and at appraisals to communicate what’s important to you whilst you work for them. After all, you may still get the upgraded pay packet but also be able to take some chances that you didn’t know were around.
Try the quiz “Should you jump ship?” and see if you are ready for a career change.
To learn more about your personal motivations click here.
Career Management & Psychometric Consultant
W. 0870 411411
M. 07801 689801
Leave your comment below...